The Webbers Falls Board of Trustees convened for their regular meeting on Sept. 15 to address various community matters, including approving an amended budget for fiscal year 2023-24 and filling the position of School Resource Officer (SRO).
Mayor Johnny Pollard called the meeting to order at 6:27 p.m., with trustees Danny Haley, Jewell Horn and Robert Ross present.
The meeting began with a discussion and unanimous approval of consent items, including bills and recurring bills for September 2023, and the minutes of the previous regular meeting held on Aug. 8.
During the public speaking segment, Meghan Johnson expressed gratitude to the board for supporting a recent benefit dinner for Hayden Pearce. Johnson also expressed her interest in being considered for the open trustee seat.
Rosella Ollar proposed the idea of conducting a self-defense class for the community.
Pollard updated the council on a meeting with S3 Construction regarding the lagoon project. Haley informed the board that ECOGA was considering training an employee to manage gas emergencies on the Webbers Falls side of the bridge during repairs. Haley also discussed the possibility of relocating the town’s unused building to serve as a new location for the museum.
There were no representatives present from the police or fire departments. City Maintenance Supervisor Shane Robinson reported on progress in the cemetery and the removal of logs obstructing access to the fishing dock in the park.
The discussion regarding the Code Enforcement Policy was tabled for future consideration, as was the decision to purchase new tables and chairs for Freedom Hall.
The trustees approved several other important motions during the meeting.
• The amended budget for fiscal year 202324.
• The resignation of Trustee Austin Alden.
• Approval of the contract with Webbers Falls School for the School Resource Officer (SRO) position.
• The employment of Austin Alden as SRO.
• A legal service agreement with Hammons, Hamby, & Price, PLLC.
• The employment of Selena Williams for the vacant full-time police officer position.
• Approval of a resolution, authorizing the application for the 2024 EODD REAP grant.
• Approval of Quote #50659 for new equipment from Dalmatian Fire Equipment in the amount of $16,331.94.
This news story is based on the unofficial minutes from the board meeting and could be in error if the minutes are changed prior to adoption.