In the Oct. 16 regular monthly meeting of the Vian Board of Trustees, several important issues were discussed and voted upon following the promotion of a police officer and the hiring of another officer.
Milligan promoted, Turner hired The trustees approved the promotion of Vian Police officer Larry Milligan to Corporal, and hiring Johnny Turner as a fulltime patrol officer.
“Cpl. Milligan will serve in a mid-level supervisory role, serving as a shift supervisor and taking on various other supervisory roles,” Vian Police Chief Mark Harkins said.
“Cpl. Milligan has shown his ability to lead and take initiative without supervision or having to be requested. He has served in supervisory roles in other departments and shown himself to be a valuable asset to improving the quality of service we expect at Vian Police Department,” he said.
The police chief said Officer Turner is a Vian resident who has an extensive background in law enforcement, including almost 15 years as a police chief in Oklahoma.
Turner is a certified firearms and rifle instructor, along with receiving the distinguished Law Enforcement Metal of Valor. He has his advanced law enforcement certificate through the state of Oklahoma Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training.
“Officer Turner will be a valuable asset to the Vian Police Department, bringing decades of experience and new ideas to help the department and community grow together,” Harkins said.
The trustees also approved a purchase agreement with Big Bear Police Vehicles, LLC for a 2017 Ford Police Taurus/ Slick Top, and the police policy and procedure manual, with the exception of the pursuit policy, which is still under review.
The SRO Ford Explorer from the police department was approved to be transferred to the street department by a unanimous vote.
Other highlights of the meeting included:
• James Warren addressed the trustees concerning a water meter box in a school parking lot that he accidentally ran over after a ball game. He requested that the town pay for the repairs to his vehicle and suggested lowering the meter. However, no decision was reached on this matter.
• An agreement between the town and MC Nutrition Service, which had been tabled since July, was once again discussed but no action was taken.
• The trustees unanimously approved a motion to purchase a CD at Armstrong Bank with the proceeds from the sale of Town Hall.
• A bid was unanimously approved from Solid Rock Concrete & Construction, LLC in the amount of $102,414.58 for Blackstone Street improvements.
• Stipends were approved for Town of Vian and Vian Public Works Authority employees, as well as a Christmas bonus for eligible members of the Vian Volunteer Fire Department.
Lastly, the Interlocal Agreement between Sequoyah County and the town, concerning county road and bridge maintenance and other repairs, was approved by a unanimous vote.
This news story is based on the unofficial minutes from the board meeting and could be in error if the minutes are changed prior to adoption.